Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fans of South Carolina, Charleston, and it's social structure, will enjoy Sunrise on the Battery by Beth Webb Hart. This story details the lives of the Scoville family, a rags to riches couple, who is able to rise to the social elite and provide everything they didn't have for their girls. And then, radical changes take place when Jackson discovers God and goes "all in." As their social status crumbles, Mary Lynn has to deal with the ramifications and decide whether this is a blessing or a curse.

For me, this novel was just "okay." I was somewhat bored by the emphasis placed on describing the South Carolina scenery, both physical and social. The major conversion event of the story did not happen until the final quarter of the book, and I would have preferred that it occur early on. I was more interested in the effects of the conversion, rather than the superficial social scene, on which the story focused. However, while I was not totally sold on this story, I see the merit for fans of South Carolina fiction.

Thanks to Booksneeze for providing a copy of this novel in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment