Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 8

God has emotions, too! Well...I must admit that I don't think I really considered this before. It's not that I didn't know it, I just never really considered it. Isn't it just like a child to have this mindset? How often do we tell our own kids, "Hey! I have feelings, too!" I think I just thought of God as being above emotions. So, now that I am taking this into consideration, let me catalog what insights I gained from Rick Warren's study, today...

1. The Bible records a wide variety of emotions of God: He grieves, gets jealous, angry, has pity, feels sorrow, sympathy, and compassion, as well as happiness, gladness, delight, pleasure, and satisfaction. He even laughs!

2. So, is it any wonder that He would feel pleasure as he watches over His children? I feel immense pleasure when I watch my children, and we are created in His image. So, as a child of God, my actions are observed by Him. Do they bring Him pleasure? Embarrassment? Grief?

3. Anthropologists have noted that worship is a universal urge...we were made to worship. And if we fail to worship God, we will always find a substitute.

4. Worship is not something you do, it is a lifestyle. It is not about singing, performing ritualistic church traditions, ecstatic experiences, etc. It is the expression of your heart. Every activity you engage in reveals who or what you worship, whether it's conscious or not. Wow...

5. So..."Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." (Colossians 3:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment