I am not a sports fan, but I enjoy biographies. I am not a sports fan, but I am the mother of one. I am not a sports fan, but after reading this book, I am a Pujols fan.
Pujols: More than the Game by Scott Lamb and Tim Ellsworth shares the story behind the amazing career of Albert Pujols. We meet Albert as a youth in poverty, in the Dominican Republic. His exposure to baseball, poverty, alcoholism, violence, and eventually, the redeeming power of Jesus Christ, shape the man we see today. Beating the odds, he overcame the encumbrances of his youth and landed one of the most lucrative professional baseball contracts in history. This biography relates his career stats in great detail and also offers glimpses into his ministries beyond the field. And while this story ends with the question of whether Pujols will continue with the Cardinals beyond the 2011 season or branch out as a free agent, Pujols' story is far from over. His astonishing baseball career, along with his ministries to the Dominican Republic and families of Down Syndrome through the Pujols Family Foundation, are still going strong.
As stated earlier in this post, I am not a sports fan. However, as a mother to a sports fan, and as a lover of books, I chose to read and review a book that I would not normally have picked up. I will say that I am glad that I read it, but at times, it was a challenge. I would guess that 70 percent of the biography was baseball statistics--truly, a beating for me. On the other hand, I have been enlightened to a sports figure that provides a good, Christian influence in the sports arena. The remaining 30 percent of the book relates Pujols' faith, the driving force behind everything he does. This book allows the reader to see into Pujols' heart and his motivations. His actions are providing a lasting influence for future generations. I look forward to my son reading this book someday because as young people look to famous figures for examples of what they want to become, Pujols is a sports icon that I would be proud for my son to emulate.
I would like to thank booksneeze.com for providing me with this complimentary copy of Pujols: More than the Game by Scott Lamb and Tim Ellsworth. The opinions I have expressed are my own and I was not required to write a positive review.
Friday, February 18, 2011
Friday, February 4, 2011
Fabulous! Beautifully written story. Markus Zusak is poetic in his prose. A very gifted writer! The Book Thief tells the story of Leisel Meminger, a German orphan who experiences the horrors of Nazi Germany. Her perspective reveals the fear and angst experienced by Germany's impovershed. There is an irony in her story as she relates her compassion for the plight of the Jews while suffering miserably herself as well, despite her position as one of Hitler's "chosen." The ultimate beauty of the story comes from the voice of the narrator: Death...
Posted by Tammy Phillips at 5:57 AM