Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Promises She Keeps


What are The Promises She Keeps? This novel by Erin Healy was good. It peeked my interest. I am now thinking about the symbolism I may have missed in the first reading. All positives, in my mind, as I finish a satisfying read.

This story revolves around the question of life and the source that powers that force. Chase, a young man with autism, draws his visions of that force. His representations are pictures of trees and his verbal descriptions are of potent Biblical verbage, delivered matter of factly, as a person with autism would deliver it. Porta, an aged curator of art, looks for life in mystic forces and the quest for immortality. Promise, a budding vocal talent with cystic fibrosis, aims to prolong her life through fame. In the end, the characters find life in love and sacrifice.

I recommend The Promises She Keeps. It was a satisfying drama with compelling characterization. I especially liked reading about Chase. I believe the author portrayed his autism very realistically. It was in his nature, due to the autism, to take things very literally, to not let emotion cloud his reasoning, and to approach people with the innocence of a child. We could all benefit from a little more of that innocence and deliberateness about delivering the truth as we know it.

I would like to thank booksneeze.com for providing me with this complimentary copy of The Promises She Keeps by Erin Healy. The opinions I have expressed are my own and I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment