Tuesday, January 11, 2011


A Man's Heart by Lori Copeland fell short of my expectations for Christian Romance. This story began with a jilted groom, continued with the death of a father and best friend, meandered along a sketchy reunited sister relationship, and stubbornly snagged along the poor communication between two people who supposedly loved each other. The only thing that kept me reading was the hope that it would get better, and while the last chapter wrapped it up neatly, it felt unrealistic and left me thinking, "That relationship is never gonna make it."
What I hope for in Christian fiction is a realistic portrayal of people living in a Christ-like way, making mistakes and overcoming obstacles, but finding the ultimate truth in their faith. This novel fell short. While the main characters voiced prayers in desperation, and recognized their need for God, they never really turned to Him. In addition, the main characters were suing each other over child custody and communicating with snide, sarcastic, and stubborn remarks throughout. And while they ended up together in the end, I never saw evidence that they had overcome this disasterous communication trait.
All in all, mildly entertaining, but I would not recommend it to my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment