Well, I am at the halfway mark...although, admittedly it has taken me longer than 20 days to get here. But I am committed to continuing the 40 day challenge, even if it takes me longer than that to finish.
Today's lesson was entitled, "Restoring Broken Fellowship." I like to call it, "Conflict Resolution." Here are the top insights I gleaned today:
1. Broken fellowship is a disgraceful testimony to unbelievers.
2. Peacemaking is hard work. It is not avoiding conflict or appeasement.
3. Use your ears more than your mouth. Focus on feelings, not facts, and remember that feelings are not always true or logical.
4. Remember our calling to be a living sacrifice? It is a sacrifice to patiently absorb the anger of others.
5. Practice humility by admitting your own mistakes.
6. How you say it is as important as what you say...For the sake of fellowship, you MUST destroy your arsenal of weapons, including condemning, belittling, comparing, labeling, insulting, condescending, and being sarcastic.
7. Peace always has a price tag. Sometimes it costs our pride, sometimes our self-centeredness.
I am very thankful that I have a husband who is willing to practice the art of conflict resolution with me :). Peacemaking is hard work, but when two are willing to work together, it makes it a lot easier. My prayer for couples out there is that both parties are willing to work equally as hard to maintain peace.